About Me

My photo
North Carolina, United States
I'm a 36yr old, wife, wannabe mom, horticulturalist, halfass knitter, and sometimes runner, searching for my grace

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Face Down on the bathroom floor

Lucky for me my work is pretty flexible with my scheduling, because adapting to lovenox has been a little challenging. The first shot was great, a little stinging but no bruising. The next two just as good. In fact I was getting a little cocky, thinking I won't bruise at all.

Friday morning I wake up and prepare to give myself the shot. I sit on the toilet while I do it. I got the needle in and then my ears started to ring, I remember pushing the plunger and that's it. Next thing I know I am face down on the bathroom floor. My husband heard a loud bang and it woke him up. When I came to, I yelled for him. He came and asked what happened. The needle is laying on the floor, I'm on the floor my head is killing me, and my knees are banged up, and I have a bruise on my stomach. Luckily no major injuries and I didn't break the needle or anything. I scared myself and my husband to death. I guess my blood sugar was too low, as was my blood pressure.

So today I ate a granola bar first and numbed the spot with ice, then I sat on the floor with my back against the wall. The smell of alcohol makes me dizzy but I did the shot without fainting and that's a start.

I'm bruising every time now, I guess because the blood thinner is doing it's job.

5 comments:

Dan & Hillary said...

Your story is so familiar:-( I almost passed out twice (or 3 times?). I think it's the closest I've ever come to a panic attack. Like you, I started to snack right before my shot, then I turned the radio up really loud to outdrown my thoughts, and did the shot.

I'm SO glad you hubby was home to help you. The first time I felt the ringing in my ears and my pulse race, I purposely dropped to the floor and put my head on my knees. My DH wasn't home and I didn't want to fall.

Grad3 said...

Holy ba-geezes! So glad that you are alright!

Yes, def keep up with the granola bar ;) ~Hugs~

admin said...

You'd make a terrible drug addict:) Just glad you weren't hurt - and glad the shots are doing what they are suposed to do....
Meredith

Grad3 said...

Thinking of you tomorrow... I hope that it brings you everything you desire. ~Hugs~

Panamahat said...

Looking forward to the next update and hoping all is well.

Are you expected to do the lovenex shots up to 36 weeks? That's what I've been advised for my next pregnancy. I can't imagine where I'd put the needle once the belly started blowing out and tightening up. Urgh.

But whatever it takes, right???