About Me

My photo
North Carolina, United States
I'm a 36yr old, wife, wannabe mom, horticulturalist, halfass knitter, and sometimes runner, searching for my grace

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Cervical Competency

So my cervix did not pass the competency test but it didn't fail either. Currently my cervix is measuring 2.5 cm. Anything greater than 2.5 is good and normal, anything less than 1.5 is bad. So I am in the gray zone. Dr. T wants to monitor weekly and I am on pelvic rest and light duty for the time being. It's a little frightening. Maybe more than a little. At least I get weekly ultrasounds for a little while. I had always hoped that stepping into the 2nd trimester would bring relief from the anxiety and fear, but not so much. The good news is that I am being closely monitored and if a cerclage is needed they have more to work with and it won't be an emergency situation. I'm 16 weeks today. Dr. T said if a cerclage is needed he wants to do it by 19 weeks. Everything else looks good, blood pressure is 114/70 and baby heartbeat is 154bpm. Development looks normal for this stage. I've gained 5 pounds total. I feel fine, more tired than anything but otherwise good. I told a few more of my work colleagues at our Professional Assoc. State meeting. So that was nice.

I'm trying to keep the positive things flowing and not let this cervix thing overwhelm me. It's not so easy. Just keep praying.

4 comments:

Panamahat said...

I am glad you are being closely monitored. Cervical incompetence is much more common in those of us with RPL, probably because we have been more likely to have had a lot more cervical manipulation (D&C's etc). I would feel much happier if you had a stitch in already! Thinking of you. xx

Kelly said...

I'm so glad that your doctor is taking this seriously and monitoring you closely. That being said, the cervix can fluctuate in measurement, too, so you could go in next time and have it be "out" of the grey zone.

Hang in there. You're definitely in the right timeframe for a cerlage if needed.

Do yourself a favor and steer clear of doctor Google. When I hit the 2nd tri, I was panicked about this and freaked myself out way too much.

Sue said...

Sending strong vibes of competency to your cervix, and a hug to you.

Anonymous said...

I am sending positive thoughts your way. I wish things were more certain at this stage so you didn't have to have this added worry about the cervix. I hate being in the "grey zone".